Skip to main content

Growing A Farmer 1

Hello! Today I will be writing about my impressions of the first part of Growing a Farmer by Kurt Timmermeister. First of all, I really admire Kurt Timmermeister's tenacity. When he first started his Kurtwood Farms he really had no idea what he was doing. From the failed vegetable crops to the dead bees in the mail and deer eating his apple crops, he never once gave up or thought that he should pursue another career. Most of us at least start to question ourselves a little bit in the face of failure, but Kurt Timmermeister seemed to be dead set about being a farmer from the day he somewhat accidentally stumbled into the profession (except for that brief moment when Dinah crushed his ribs)..

Another thing that I really liked about Growing A Farmer is that Kurt always followed his gut feeling and did what he wanted to do, no matter if it was a smart decision by conventional wisdom. I really liked the part where Kurt bought a tractor, even if he did not necessarily need one for his little farm. He simply wanted a tractor because its a shiny cool object that he felt like every farmer should have. Buying something expensive so you can feel like you belong in a certain category of people is something I think most people have done at least once in their lives. I thought it was cool to read about how Kurt managed to get where he wanted in life just by doing whatever felt right in the moment, and I think thats something I can learn a lot from.

Comments