In my view, the best way to start making the world a better place is to make yourself a better person. It is also important to take good care of yourself. Although it sounds selfish, I believe that before you take care of anyone else you must know how to take care of yourself. I think we have all met someone who is so nice that people take advantage of them, and it is hard to do accomplish anything big this way. This is not to say that you should not be nice. In fact I really hate people who talk loudly about all their revolutionary ideas but when you talk to them 1 on 1 they are really unpleasant (unfortunately hard to avoid at the Marshall business school).
Like Jacqueline Novogratz says, we are all created equal. I believe the biggest thing separating successful people and unsuccessful people is opportunity. Through investing in human capital we can help all parties involved. In Novogratz book it is called patient capital, but I have also hear it called capability building. Investing in under-resourced individuals (businesses in Novogratz case) and seeing them share the wealth with everyone around them. Unfortunately power is often inherited, which results in the same people and families being rich today that were rich yesteryear. That is why I think it is important to build institutions that distribute capital to those that do not have access to it, so everyone can have an opportunity to utilize their potential and make a decent living for themselves.
Like Jacqueline Novogratz says, we are all created equal. I believe the biggest thing separating successful people and unsuccessful people is opportunity. Through investing in human capital we can help all parties involved. In Novogratz book it is called patient capital, but I have also hear it called capability building. Investing in under-resourced individuals (businesses in Novogratz case) and seeing them share the wealth with everyone around them. Unfortunately power is often inherited, which results in the same people and families being rich today that were rich yesteryear. That is why I think it is important to build institutions that distribute capital to those that do not have access to it, so everyone can have an opportunity to utilize their potential and make a decent living for themselves.
Hi Haakon,
ReplyDeleteYes, power was always inherited 100 years ago. It has only started to change since the 20th century after the World War 2. I think not only what you proposed in your blog that have an institution that distribute capital to people who need it, but also I think equal education is another key for people that work hard to raise from poverty. If people who have no knowledge receive the capital (money) they could just spend them for pleasure. Hence I think another suggestion I see is essential education provided to them at no cost or at low cost.
----Wei Zhang
Hey Haakon,
ReplyDeleteI thought your idea that the best way to make the world a better place is to make yourself better was very interesting. If everyone followed this idea, the world would be a better place, but unfortunately many people do not know how to do this and need guidance.
Hey Haakon,
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree with you more. Jacqueline Novogratz book deeply impacted my opinion on creating change in a community, I believe, like you said, the best way to do so is through investing in human capital. This is a sustainable solution that will allow the community to prosper without outside volunteers or aid.
Hi Haakon,
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you that we should start by making ourselves better persons in oder to help others. Like you said, many times money and power is inherited and there always the same families who are in the top 1%. I find your idea of investing in human capital so that the wealth can be better distributed.